[B-Greek] Spiritual psalms, hymns and songs?--Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16

Leonard Jayawardena leonardj at live.com
Tue Jul 20 01:33:44 EDT 2010

YALMOIS KAI hUMNOIS KAI WiDAIS PNEUMATIKAIS-Ephesians 5:19

YALMOIS hUMNOIS WiDAIS PNEUMATIKAIS--Colossians 3:16

The above words are usually rendered "psalms, hymns and spiritual songs" in Bible translations, with PNEUMATIKOS qualifying only "songs." Is there any grammatical objection to translating these words as "spiritual psalms, hymns and songs," with the adjective qualifying all three nouns?

Am I right in thinking that the same ambiguity exists in YALMOIS KAI hUMNOIS KAI WiDAIS PNEUMATIKAIS as in the English phrase "spiritual songs, psalms and hymns," where "spiritual" can be taken as qualifying all three nouns or only the first.

In my next post I will explain the reason for my inquiry.

Leonard Jayawardena