[B-Greek] Rev 9:1 - PEPTWKOTA

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Tue Jul 13 19:20:37 EDT 2010

On Jul 12, 2010, at 7:31 PM, Gareth Burton wrote:

> The following message was approved for list-distribution but somehow fell through the cracks.
>
> Forwarded for: Womble Song <womblesong at googlemail.com>
> Date: July 12, 2010 5:25:08 PM EDT
> To: greek B-Greek <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Rev 9:1 - PEPTWKOTA
>
> Hi. I am curious about the word PEPTWKOTA (fallen) in Rev 9:1.
>
> ειδον αστερα εκ του ουρανου πεπτωκοτα
> EIDON ASTERA EK TOU OURANOU PEPTWKOTA
>
> Some translations suggest that John sees the star actually fall from
> heaven but others do not, keeping the falling strictly past.
>
> I know PEPTWKOTA is the perfect participle. So "having fallen" seems
> reasonable.
>
> But in the Greek is this the "immediate" past that John would have
> witnessed in the vision or is it more the state of the star before
> John's vision of it began?
>
> Or is that non-determinable?

On the surface, this would appear to be an instance of a verb of perception (EIDON) with accusative noun and participle indicating an action perceived; since the participle is a perfect participle, the sense derived from this understanding of the construction is: "I saw that a star had fallen from the sky." That said, it should be noted that the author of Revelation is not noted for strict observance of conventional grammatical usage.