[B-Greek] Rev 9:1 - PEPTWKOTA

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Mon Jul 12 19:31:17 EDT 2010

The following message was approved for list-distribution but somehow fell through the cracks.

Forwarded for: Womble Song <womblesong at googlemail.com>
Date: July 12, 2010 5:25:08 PM EDT
To: greek B-Greek <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Rev 9:1 - PEPTWKOTA

Hi. I am curious about the word PEPTWKOTA (fallen) in Rev 9:1.

ειδον αστερα εκ του ουρανου πεπτωκοτα
EIDON ASTERA EK TOU OURANOU PEPTWKOTA

Some translations suggest that John sees the star actually fall from
heaven but others do not, keeping the falling strictly past.

I know PEPTWKOTA is the perfect participle. So "having fallen" seems
reasonable.

But in the Greek is this the "immediate" past that John would have
witnessed in the vision or is it more the state of the star before
John's vision of it began?

Or is that non-determinable?

Regards,

Gareth Buxton