[B-Greek] MONOGENHS in the Fourth Gospel

Leonard Jayawardena leonardj at live.com
Sun Jul 11 08:02:22 EDT 2010

I wrote the following in my last post on the above subject:

Quote:

If MONOGENHS QEOS is original in John 1:18, we have an example for MONOGENHS used in the sense of "best-beloved" with a word other than "son." Perhaps we could then call the beloved disciple MONOGENHS MAQHTHS TOU IHSOU?

Unquote

Perhaps not. The sense "beloved" for MONOGENHS is attested only with "son" (at least so far as I am aware)--MONOGENHS YIOS. MONOGENHS QEOS may not be an exception after all for the following reason. In the teaching of the scriptures, Jesus and his followers are sons of God by a spiritual rebirth. They are also QEOI by virtue of partaking of the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4). Now this partaking of the divine nature--the transformation of a person to a QEOS--implies hYIOQESIA. Jesus or any follower of his is a QEOS because he was born of God. Therefore in MONOGENHS QEOS, QEOS presupposes and implies hYIOQESIA. This may now explain why QEOS is immediately followed by hO WN EIS TON KOLPON TOU PATROS, words which otherwise would tend to support the reading MONOGENHS hYIOS.

Leonard Jayawardena