[B-Greek] Jos. Ant. 20:20 under MONOGENHS in BDAG

Leonard Jayawardena leonardj at live.com
Sat Jul 10 06:02:49 EDT 2010

The 1957 and 1979 editions of "A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature' (BDAG) has the following as part of its entry on MONOGENHS:

"Of an only son (Plut. Lycurgus 31,8; Jos. Ant. 20,20) Lk. 7:12; 9:38..."

Actually, as I mentioned in my (recent) post on MONOGENHs in the Fourth Gospel, Josephus uses MONOGENHS in Ant. 20:20 in the sense of "best-beloved," not "only." Josephus calls Izates, a son of Monobazus (king of Adiabene) by Helena his MONOGENH, though Monobazus had an elder son by the same wife and other children by other wives. Clearly, Josephus calls Izates MONOGENHS in the sense of "best-beloved," or "favourite." The rest of the narrative also makes this very clear.

I wonder whether this error is corrected in later edition(s) of BDAG.

.
Leonard Jayawardena