[B-Greek] John 8:17 DE

Barry H. nebarry at verizon.net
Thu Jul 8 07:45:46 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Inman" <eric-inman at comcast.net>
To: "'Carl Conrad'" <cwconrad2 at mac.com>
Cc: "'B-Greek'" <B-Greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 7:19 AM
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] John 8:17 DE

> That's why I asked. I thought that connectives like DE were normally the
> second word in the clause, but on the other hand I couldn't remember ever
> seeing a clause beginning with KAI DE.
>
> In this case would it normally be expected after EN?

Eric and Carl:

As I recall, tthat DE is postpositive doesn't mean that it is always the
second word of the clause, but that it is never the first.  It rarel (if
ever) follows a proclitic like EN but normally follows the first accented
word of the clause, with certain exception such as KAI, and (the other way)
the article even when it is proclitic.

The use of particles is highly idiomatic, and must be determined practically
from each author.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics & Bible Instructor @ The American Academy
2010 Salvatori Excellence in Education Winner
http://theamericanacademy.net
Mentor, The North American Reformed Seminary
http://www.tnars.net/