[B-Greek] John 8:17 DE

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 18:04:18 EDT 2010

Marilyn wrote:

<I am puzzled about DE in John 8:17.  It seems to me that the verse would be
translated the same with or without it. I'm afraid this is a silly question, but
can someone tell me why DE is there? Is it translated AND or But with KAI being
translated as ALSO?  That would make sense to me, but I still wonder why it is
needed.

John 8:17: καὶ ἐν τῷ νόμῳ δὲ τῷ ὑμετέρῳ γέγραπται ὅτι δύο ἀνθρώπων ἡ μαρτυρία
ἀληθής ἐστιν.
KAI EN TWi NOMWi DE TWi hUMETERWi GEGRAPTAI hOTI DUO ANQRWPWN hH MARTURIA ALHQHS
ESTIN.>

Hi, Marilyn,

Yes, I think you are right, but I would say the DE makes the KAI
into an "even."  "Even in your law, afterall, it is written..."

But it's not really needed.  Particles and even conjuctions in Koine
add nuance, not meaning, KATA ME.

 Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS

________________________________
I am puzzled about DE in John 8:17.  It seems to me that the verse would be
translated the same with or without it. I'm afraid this is a silly question, but
can someone tell me why DE is there? Is it translated AND or But with KAI being
translated as ALSO?  That would make sense to me, but I still wonder why it is
needed.

John 8:17: καὶ ἐν τῷ νόμῳ δὲ τῷ ὑμετέρῳ γέγραπται ὅτι δύο ἀνθρώπων ἡ μαρτυρία
ἀληθής ἐστιν.
KAI EN TWi NOMWi DE TWi hUMETERWi GEGRAPTAI hOTI DUO ANQRWPWN hH MARTURIA ALHQHS
ESTIN.

Thanks,

Marilyn Phemister

B-Greek mailing list