[B-Greek] Pr 10:11

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 02:36:15 EDT 2010

πηγὴ ζωῆς ἐν χειρὶ δικαίου, στόμα δὲ ἀσεβοῦς καλύψει ἀπώλεια.
PHGH ZWHS EN XEIRI DIKAIOU, STOMA DE ASBOUS KALUYEI APWLEIA.

It is true that the MT here reads פִּי צַדִּיק PiY CaD.iYQ "the mouth of the
righteous", but there are a number of places where the MT and the LXX diverge.
In some of these we find from the Dead Sea Scrolls that there was a textform
which approached that of the LXX in some places (or the Samaritan Pentateuch) so
it could be that there was a text which read thus in Hebrew.  It is entirely
possible that due to poetic parallelismus membrorum the LXX might be the
original reading which was assimilated to the second stich for that reason.  I
don't mean to maintain that such was the case, but the more we learn the more we
find that we don't know.  It could also be that the LXX changed it because "the
mouth of the righteous" is not effective in the way that the divine speech is
effective in calling things into existence.  Man acts with his hand.

 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.