[B-Greek] Paul as Stylist

Brant Clements clements at grics.net
Sun Jul 4 13:49:30 EDT 2010

Paul Baronowsky wrote:

Perhaps you have already seen this book. I don't know whether it
addresses exactly the question you have posed, but it seems like it
might be relevant:

John D. Harvey, _Listening to the Text: Oral Patterning in Paul's
Letters_, Baker Books (US) and Apollos (England), 1998
Baker ISBN: 0801022002
Apollos ISBN: 085114644

Best Wishes,
Paul E. Baronowsky

I have read this book. As I recall it deals with Paul's intentional use
of patterns, such as chiasmus, to aid his hearers' understanding. I
think these patterns would indicate careful composition (at least at the
outline level) rather than spontaneous speech.