[B-Greek] 1 John 4:2 and 2 John 7

Leonard Jayawardena leonardj at live.com
Tue Dec 28 05:03:38 EST 2010

> From: iver_larsen at sil.org
> To: leonardj at live.com; b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Re: [B-Greek] 1 John 4:2 and 2 John 7
> Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:47:04 +0300

LJ: True, Wallace doesn't discuss in detail the verses mentioned on this page, but beginning from p. 187 he discusses Romans 10:9, EAN hOMOLOGHSHiS EN THi STOMATI SOU KURION IHSOUN ... SWQHSHi, and advocates the interpretation "If you confess with you mouth Jesus [as] Lord ... you shall be saved."  In note 41, he says, "We should most likely take it [i.e., KURION IHSOUN in Romans 10:9] as an object-complement construction because of the following: (a) the verb used [hOMOLOGEW] can take an object-complement (cf. John 9:22; 1 John 4:2; 2 John 7) ...."

>From this I infer that Wallace takes IHSOUN CRISTON in John 4:2 and 2 John 7 as an object-complement. In the very least, he thinks that that is a possible interpretation.

> It could as well be that he takes IHSOUN CRISTON as the compound object and the
> following participles as the complement (second object). Confessing Jesus Christ
> as the one who has come in the flesh. That is how I would take it, and as you
> say, that is the normal understanding. However, the NET follows your
> understanding, and it is grammatically possible.
>
> 1 John does talk about people denying or believing that Jesus is the Christ, but
> he uses a different construction to show this as seen in 2:22 and 5:1.
>
> Iver Larsen

Leonard Jayawardena