[B-Greek] Fwd: Romans 16:1

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 19:53:10 EST 2010

<Certain nouns in Greek are "epicene" (or "common") in that their form
is the same for both masculine and feminine but their gender depends
on whom the noun is referring to.  DIAKONOS (aide) is one of them.
PARQENOS (virgin) is another.>

θεος (QEOS) is another one.  Even ανθρωπος (ANQRWPOS.)

(Hi, Stephen)

 Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS

________________________________
> I've been wandering recently, about the use of the word "deacon" (noun masc.
> sing.) in Romans 16:1-2
> in reference to Phoebe who was a woman. How common of usage that was in the
> Biblical Greek language?
> Does it stand out as wrong or was it commonly applied that way?

Certain nouns in Greek are "epicene" (or "common") in that their form
is the same for both masculine and feminine but their gender depends
on whom the noun is referring to.  DIAKONOS (aide) is one of them.
PARQENOS (virgin) is another.

Stephen
--
Stephen C. Carlson