[B-Greek] Inscriptions

Kevin Riley klriley at alphalink.com.au
Tue Aug 31 20:47:25 EDT 2010

  I am afraid, at least from my brief research, that the answer to the
question of who spoke which language where is found scattered through a
number of books.  Aramaic was the lingua franca of much of the middle
east before Arabic rose to prominence and Greek did not replace it in
most of that area.  You need to think in terms of di/triglossia for most
of the region.  Aramaic was the liturgical language for the Christian
churches in Palestine, Syria, Iraq and much of what is now Turkey.  From
memory also in Iran, but I may have that wrong.  Outside the
historically Greek areas, saying the eastern part of the Roman Empire
was Greek speaking is somewhat analogous to saying that India is English
speaking.

Kevin Riley