[B-Greek] strange "men" construction 1 Cor 2:15

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Sun Aug 29 00:44:44 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "George F Somsel" <gfsomsel at yahoo.com>
To: "hoshi411" <hoshi411 at gmail.com>; <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: 27. august 2010 04:47
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] strange "men" construction 1 Cor 2:15

> You appear to be following the Byz Maj textform since μέν does not appear in
> the critical text. Μέν is postpositive so that it never appears at the
> beginning of its clause. Due to the fact that the clause already has a
> postpositive δέ the μέν seems to have been shoved further down the line.
> Μέν ... δέ serves to indicate a contrast so in the Byz Maj text they are
> emphasizing the contrast between two items. What is contrasted is [τα] πάντα
> and οὑδένος. It would appear that the two indicators are placed as closely
> as
> possible to the two items which are contrasted thereby.
>
> george
> gfsomsel

If I may just add one final comment about MEN coming after a verb. Since MEN as
George says is postpositive, I would say that what is contrasted according to
the position of MEN is the active ANAKRINEI and the passive AUTOS ... (OUK)
ANAKRINETAI.

While the spiritual may actively evaluate/examine/judge/discern everything, he
is not subject to judgment or cannot be properly discerned/evaluated (by
non-spiritual people).

Iver Larsen