[B-Greek] strange "men" construction 1 Cor 2:15

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Fri Aug 27 01:21:02 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "hoshi411" <hoshi411 at gmail.com>
To: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: 27. august 2010 04:20
Subject: [B-Greek] strange "men" construction 1 Cor 2:15

> REPOST, SORRY I FORGOT MY ADDRESS AND NAME!!
>
> 1 Corinthians 2:15
> ο δε πνευματικος ανακρινει μεν παντα  αυτος δε υπ ουδενος ανακρινεται
> hO DE PNEUMATIKOS ANAKRINEI MEN PANTA AUTOS DE HUP OUDENOS ANAKRINETAI
>
> My translation so far is:
>
> Sure, The Spiritual-One always-analyzes all-things. He-Himself is-
> never-analyzed by anybody.
>
> My question is:
>
> Why does the "MEN" come after a verb? Usually the "MEN" is written at  the
> beginning of the clause or after a noun that it is pointing to,  but in this
> sentence it is following a verb which isn't even a  particle or infinitive O_o
>
> I could not find any explanation of what happens when MEN follows a  verb at
> the end of a clause.
> ================================
> Joshua Robison

This is a good way to revise one's assumptions. For MEN when used in tandem with
a following DE, the two things that are correlated are more important than where
the MEN actually occurs in the overall sentence. While DE looks back, MEN looks
forward.

The first DE in hO DE PNEUMATIKOS looks back and contrasts with v. 14:

ψυχικὸς δὲ ἄνθρωπος οὐ δέχεται τὰ τοῦ πνεύματος τοῦ θεοῦ
YUCIKOS DE ANQRWPOS OU DECETAI TA TOU PNEUMATOS TOU QEOU

a soulish/unspiritual person cannot take in the things that come from the Spirit
of God...

This unspiritual person is then contrasted with the fronted phrase in v. 15:

hO DE PNEUMATIKOS but for the spiritual [person] (the following applies:)

ANAKRINEI MEN PANTA, AUTOS DE hUP OUDENOS ANAKRINETAI

while he can judge/evaluate/examine all things, he himself can be judged by no
one else (who is soulish/unspiritual)

MEN is positioned after the main word that is correlated, whether noun, pronoun
or verb.

Iver Larsen