[B-Greek] Newbie / Lurker question on Hebrews 11:1 DE as transitional conjunction

Alex Poulos apviper at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:05:00 EDT 2010

I'm a lurker, and not at all an expert, but I agree with you for what it's
worth.  δε (DE) is simply a transition.  Had the author wanted to
communicate "now" in terms of present time, he would've thrown νυν (NUN) in
there somewhere (my guess, anyway).

I do find it strange that every translation I looked at translated it as
"Now..." except the REB and NLT.  Everyone seems to follow the KJV.  There
might be a more suitable conjunction to link it back to 10:39 (as, for,
etc.).  I suppose anything translational choice is subject to
misunderstanding though.

Alex Poulos
Senior - Computer Science
NC State University