[B-Greek] Newbie / Lurker question on Hebrews 11:1 DE as transitional conjunction

Kenneth Bent ken at cotr.com
Wed Aug 25 11:24:59 EDT 2010

Hebrews 11:1  εστιν δε πιστις ελπιζομενων υποστασις πραγματων ελεγχος ου βλεπομενων
1         ESTIN DE PISTIS ELPIZOMENWN UPOSTASIS PRAGMATWN ELEGXOS OU BLEPOMENWN

1 ¶  Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. (NIV)

DE is commonly translated “now”.

I keep running across what seem to be well intentioned but misinformed preachers who, because of the word “now” in the translation make some application in this manner:

“Now faith is  - It means faith is always “NOW” – in the present.”

My understanding in reading Wallace is that “de” is a transitional conjunction.  I haven’t been able to find any reference to DE translated as ‘NOW’ as being time referent.

Of course, ESTIN is present active indicative, but that is not the basis on which they derive their application of the verse.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kenneth Bent
ken at cotr.com