[B-Greek] Gal 3:3 -- Question or statement?

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 21:52:12 EDT 2010

Hi, Stephen,

<Are there any discourse or syntactic reasons that could shed light on
whether Gal 3:3 is a question or statement?  Or is it merely the fact
that 3:3 is in the middle of a barrage of questions? >

Just a subjective impression, but the passage strikes me a series of questions.
To interrupt the questions with a statement is something that could work
rhetorically, but here is seems like it weakens the force of the rhetoric.  I
appreciate what Mark G. says about the Galatians having already adopted
circumcision, but I think that could still be the case if Paul means this as a
(rhetorical) question.

 Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS