[B-Greek] Inscriptions

Eddie Mishoe edmishoe at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 21:45:24 EDT 2010

Is there any well-researched book that informs us about the main spoken language of the empire in various places based on the preponderance of inscriptions? Since Paul's churches in the West and East are both written in Greek, can we assume that Greek was the lingua franca of all parts of the empire?

Why all the speculation about what was the main language spoken in various parts. Was not even the church in Jerusalem Greek-speaking? I'm not sure how important it would be for the non-Jew to speak Aramaic, since Greek would be the medium of exchange, presumably.

Any interesting articles on the Net would be helpful. Does not Stanley Porter contend that Greek was basically spoken throughout the empire?

Eddie Mishoe