[B-Greek] A REMOTE ANTECEDENT IN JOHN 12:20-26??

Blue Meeksbay bluemeeksbay at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 18:03:43 EDT 2010

I wrote earlier in my post to Iver – <However, your point is well taken, most
commentators do not see it the way I suggested.>

I finally found one commentator who basically believed that the discourse was
given to the Greeks. Albert Barnes (1798 – December 24, 1870). He was an
American theologian, having graduated from Princeton Theological Seminary in
1823.  He said,  –   *22. Telleth Andrew. Why he did not at once tell Jesus, is
not known. Possibly he was doubtful whether Jesus would wish to converse with
Gentiles, and chose to consult with Andrew about it. Tell Jesus.   Whether the
Greeks were with them cannot be determined. From the following discourse it
would seem probable that they were, or at least that Jesus admitted them to his
presence and delivered the discourse to them.*

I think this most definitely proves three things. 1) There are others who
believe the antecedent of AUTOIS could be the Greeks. 2) If you look long enough
you can always find someone to agree with you!  3) It doesn’t really prove
anything, since Barnes and I could be wrong!

Regards,Blue Harris