[B-Greek] Gal 3:3 -- Question or statement?

Steve Runge srunge at logos.com
Tue Aug 24 17:54:09 EDT 2010

Beyond observing that both the Markan and Galatian examples are emotionally charged, I'm not sure I have much to offer. hOUTWS is playing a slightly different pragmatic role in each.

Adverbs like hWS and hOUTWS are pretty squirrely when it comes to position. Sometimes it is clearly pragmatic as in Gal 3:3, other times it is attributable to preferring an initial or final position as in Mark 7:18, IMO. I think the next logical step is for someone with a broader classical, Carlesque background to offer anecdotal observations from outside the GNT corpus. My list is way beyond too thin to draw conclusions. Does the pattern I suggested hold up, or does it diverge?