[B-Greek] Referent of hOS (Ignatius to the Magnesians) ?

Rick Brannan textgeek+bgreek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 17:51:33 EDT 2010

Folks —

Schoedel writes the following of this in his Hermeneia volume on Ignatius:

---------
The last sentence of the letter is a complexly worded farewell. The
identification here of the “spirit” with “Jesus Christ” has sometimes
been taken to show that Ignatius taught a “ Spirit-christology” (cf. 2
Clem. 14.4). This is not correct. As we have already seen, the Spirit
of God and the Spirit of the trinitarian formula play roles
independent of christology in Ignatius (see on Mag. 13.1); and the
spirit/flesh antithesis, though relevant to christology, has a
different ambience (see on Eph. 7.2). In any event, here the
“unwavering spirit” is almost certainly a human disposition since
“possessing an unwavering spirit” further defines the attitude of
those who are strong “in godly concord” (compare the “blameless and
unwavering mind” of Tr. 1.1). Moreover, the “unwavering spirit” and
“Jesus Christ” are connected by an expression, ὅς ἐστιν, “who is,”
that in Ignatius does not flatly identify two terms but leaves open a
whole range of possible relations between them (see on Eph. 20.2). It
is used here to identify Christ as the source of the unwavering spirit
of the Magnesians.

William R. Schoedel et al., Ignatius of Antioch : A Commentary on the
Letters of Ignatius of Antioch (Hermeneia--a critical and historical
commentary on the Bible, Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1985), 132-33.
---------

Having worked through the text of Ignatius rather closely over the
summer, I can say (at least for me) when I read Ignatius, I get the
sense that he just assumes you'll pick up a lot of what he's only
subtly implying. Stuff like just saying "the will" but really meaning
"the divine will". It's almost like you've got to really read the
Ignatius corpus once, then read it over again and say "oh, yeah. duh!"
to fill in the blanks. Lightfoot's larger work on Ignatius is
invaluable for this; but Schoedel is pretty handy too.

Rick Brannan
http://www.supakoo.com/rick/ricoblog
http://www.pastoralepistles.com
http://bit.ly/ApFthInt

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 5:28 AM, Barry H. <nebarry at verizon.net> wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Streitenberger"

He who translates a verse verbatim is a liar.
But he who alters it is a villain and a heretic.
                          -- Talmud Bavli (Qid. 49a)