[B-Greek] [Corpus-Paulinum-2] Gal 3:3 -- Question or statement?

Mark Goodacre goodacre at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 14:26:56 EDT 2010

On 24 August 2010 10:49, Stephen C. <scarlson at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Galatians 3:3 is usually punctuated as a question:
>
> hOUTWS ANOHTOI ESTE, ENARXAMENOI PNEUMATI NUN SARKI EPITELEISQE?
>
> "Are you so senseless? Having started in the spirit, you are now
> finishing in the flesh?"
>
> But it also seems feasible that it could be a statement, i.e.: "You
> are senseless in this way: having stated in the spirit, you are now
> finishing in the flesh."

I agree;  I made a similar suggestion in a blog post on this topic back in 2006:

http://ntweblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/were-galatians-already-circumcised-v.html

See also on the use of similar present tense verbs in a later post in
the same series:

http://ntweblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/were-galatians-already-circumcised-vii.html

One of these days, I should write that article up fully!

All best
Mark
--
Mark Goodacre