[B-Greek] Referent of hOS (Ignatius to the Magnesians) ?

Barry H. nebarry at verizon.net
Tue Aug 24 08:28:05 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Streitenberger" <ps2866 at bingo-ev.de>
To: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:01 AM
Subject: [B-Greek] Referent of hOS (Ignatius to the Magnesians) ?

> Dear friends,
>
> in the letter of Ignatius to the Magnesians we read in Chapter 15:
>
> KAI hAI LOIPAI DE EKKLHSIAI EN TIMHi  IHSOU  CRISTOU ASPAZONTAI hUMAS.
> ERRWSQE EN hOMONOIAi QEOU KEKTHMENOI ADIAKRITON PNEUMA, hOS ESTIN  IHSOUS
> CRISTOS.
>
> Translated: "Fare ye well in godly concord, and possess ye a stedfast
> spirit, which is Jesus Christ."
> http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/ignatius-magnesians-lightfoot.html
>
> I just wonder if the relative pronoun hOS refers back to PNEUMA? hOS is
> masculine and PNEUMA neuter. If that's true it sounds kind of modalistic
> (PNEUMA and CRISTOS as one being)?

Lightfoot, as would I, takes the pronoun here as proleptic, referring to
Christ, even though the antecedent is technically PNEUMA.  My guess is that
Ignatius is not really being too technical or ontological here, but saying
that their "steadfast spirit" is from Christ.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Savatori Excellence in Education Winner)
V-P of Academic Affairs, TNARS
bhofstetter at tnars.net
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry