[B-Greek] Referent of hOS (Ignatius to the Magnesians) ?

Peter Streitenberger ps2866 at bingo-ev.de
Tue Aug 24 08:01:06 EDT 2010

Dear friends,

in the letter of Ignatius to the Magnesians we read in Chapter 15:

KAI hAI LOIPAI DE EKKLHSIAI EN TIMHi  IHSOU  CRISTOU ASPAZONTAI hUMAS.  ERRWSQE EN hOMONOIAi QEOU KEKTHMENOI ADIAKRITON PNEUMA, hOS ESTIN  IHSOUS  CRISTOS.

Translated: "Fare ye well in godly concord, and possess ye a stedfast spirit, which is Jesus Christ." http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/ignatius-magnesians-lightfoot.html

I just wonder if the relative pronoun hOS refers back to PNEUMA? hOS is masculine and PNEUMA neuter. If that's true it sounds kind of modalistic (PNEUMA and CRISTOS as one being)?

Is that right, or am I wrong ?

Thank you for any help !

Yours
Peter, Germany !