[B-Greek] hINA Clause John 6:29

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Mon Aug 23 15:46:16 EDT 2010

On Aug 23, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Gordon Slocum wrote:

> JOHN 6:28 – 29
> EIPON  OUN  PROS  AUTON  TI  POIWMEN    hINA    ERGAZWMEQA  TA  ERGA  TOU
> QEOS   (29)   APEKRIQH  IHSOUS  KAI  EIPEN  AUTOIS  TOUTO  ESTIN  TO ERGON
> TOU  QEOU  hINA  PISTEUHET

Let's make that PISTEUHi

>  EIS  hON  APESTEILEN  EKEINOS.
> Do I correctly understand the follow to be a purpose clause "hINA
> PISTEUHi   EIS    hON   APESTEILEN   EKEINOS"  If I have this correct is
> the idea of contingency present in this use of this "present active
> subjunctive?   Would the following translation of this clause be acceptable
> "that you might believe".

Actually this hINA clause is more a substantive clause, practically equivalent to
an infinitive or gerund: "Doing God's work is believing in the one He sent."
cf. BDF§388. But useful for a fuller understanding of what's going on here is
Margaret Sim's dissertation on hINA and hOTI, soon to be published, if not
already published:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-greek/2009-January/048336.html