[B-Greek] Luke 1:28b EULOGHMENH

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Sun Aug 22 18:54:18 EDT 2010

On Aug 22, 2010, at 5:53 PM, Michael Baber wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> I expected such a response to my claim, but I assure you, my claim was not without a basis.
>
> A simple Internet search of the phrase "bless this food to do our body good amen" yields the following page,
>
> http://www.bing.com/search?q=bless+this+food+to+do+our+body+good+amen&form=MSNH14&qs=n
>
> in which you can find proof of my assertion.
>
> Read this excerpt from www.cbn.com, "Asking God to bless our food is a tradition most Christians follow when breaking bread together as a group."
>
> Christian Broadcasting Network is a major Christian television network.

I had thought that the question originally asked was about the meaning of the Greek word EULOGEW; it appears to me
that the discussion has come to focus on various usages of the English word in later and modern usage. However modern
spokespersons for one group or another may explain and define the terms, our focus here is really on usage of the GREEK
word in the GREEK NT.

Is there something wrong with the lexical entry of BDAG? It shows three usages:
	1. to say someth. commendatory, speak well of, praise, extol
	2. to ask for bestowal of special favor, esp. of calling down God’s gracious power, bless
	3. to bestow a favor, provide with benefits

Louw & Nida:
	33.356 εὐλογέωa; εὐλογίαa, ας f; εὐφημία, ας f: to speak of something in favorable terms — ‘to praise, to speak well of.’
	33.470 εὐλογέωb; εὐλογίαc, ας f; κατευλογέω: to ask God to bestow divine favor on, with the implication that the verbal act itself constitutes a significant benefit — ‘to bless, blessing.'