[B-Greek] Luke 1:28b EULOGHMENH

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 17:12:39 EDT 2010

Hi, Oun,

I think the English word "bless" has two meanings.  "Blessed" in "blessed are
you, God" as a translation for Hebrew baruch ata adonai means God is being
praised by people.  "Blessed" in Alexander Pope's "Man never is, but is always
to be blessed" means man receives (or, at least, will receive) good things.

I think Greek EULOGEW has the same double meaning.  At least Bauer says it
does.  I think the Greek of Luke 1:28 can and does mean both things:  Mary will
be happy among woman and she will spoken well of by women.  The two go hand in
hand in both Jewish and Greek (though not Christian: cf. Mt 5:11) thought.

 Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS