[B-Greek] Luke 1:28b EULOGHMENH

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 15:29:25 EDT 2010

I have to wrestle with Greek words EULOGEW,  MAKARIZW (Lk 1:48), MAKARIOS
(blessed, happy), DOXAZW (to praise, to glorify Luke 4:9), ETAINEW (Lk
16:8).

The last sentence in Luke 1:28 (in v.l.) which is in KJV, etc.

EULOGHMENH SU EN GUNAIXIN

Usually it is understood that Mary be BLESSED among all women by having been
chosen  and 'favored' by God, which is then simply a reprise of the first
sentence in Gabriel's greeting.

Why not take it as 'Mary be getting PRAISED from all women' (as venerated
much in Catholic tradition)?

[It's beside confusion I have about the expression 'bless' vs 'praise' (in
English) addressed to God, wondering how human can bless God at all, at
least in my oriental thinking.]

Oun Kwon.