[B-Greek] Josephus' "Son", War 5:272

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 13:39:45 EDT 2010

<gfsomsel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Actually, חַלֻּקֵי is an adj and the noun is אֲבָנִים which is masc.  Shame
> on Randall Buth.  Go study Hebrew.

George this is still wrong.
'Halluqe-avanim' has 'Halluqe-' as the smixut (that's 'construct' to
Latins), where it is functioning nominally, 'smoothies-of stones',
not as as an adjective.
If a simple adjective, it would normally be
avanim Halluqot.
The writer of Samuel intuitively felt this and thus
referred to them as masculine according to Halluqe--.
His call. A good one. The best one.
And there are no other instances in 268 other occurrences
of 'stone' to suggest it as masculine.

So you want to take 1 out of 269 occurrences, in a syntax
where 'stone' is NOT even the controlling word, and re-write
the Hebrew language? Be my guest.

But Hebrew speakers won't follow you.

By the way, in our BIBLICAL Hebrew ulpan, students
learn to pick up avanim qetannot and avanim gedolot
during the first three days. They throw an 'even qetanna',
before they even have a word for masculine and feminine.
In fact there are so many words like this
qirot 'walls', Haravot 'swords', shulHanot 'tables',
where "-ot" is masculine,
tsipporim 'birds', gefanim 'vines', `izzim 'goats'
where "-im" is feminine,
that I've had students proudly conclude during break time
"hey, -ot marks masculine and -im marks feminine, right?)
I smile, tell them that that is a good observation, and that
they need to keep listening and that we'll talk more after
a week or so.)

These are languages, after all.

heve shalom הֱוֵה שלום
Yochanan