[B-Greek] Josephus' "Son", War 5:272

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 10:31:34 EDT 2010

It isn't necessarily wrong.  I should have checked BDB in addition to HALOT
which I have been using for a number of years since it has the Ugaritic
material.  Sometimes, however, the older resources are better in certain
respects.  With the plural אֲבָנִים rather than אֲבָנוֹת one would expect it to
be masc.  In this case while it lists אֶבֶן as a fem, it also cites 1 Sam 17.40
where it is clearly construed as a masc since it used the m pl suffix attached
to the sign of the acc to reference אֲבָנִים.

I think you impute too much understanding to the 1st cent readers.  They would
not have readily made the connection.  It is not at all clear that Josephus
understood Hebrew regardless of what someone else may claim.  Regardless of the
fact that my middle initial is "F", I may assure you that my middle name is in
reality "Thomas" so I will need to see the evidence.

 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.