[B-Greek] Josephus' "Son", War 5:272

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 08:21:12 EDT 2010

<gfsomsel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Actually, it would not be Ba-a but rather simply Ba'.

George, what should we do with this? It's wrong.
You've taken what was correct (my note),
and changed it into a simple mistake.
The correct form with [even] 'stone', a feminine, is
ba-a, באה, not ba.

[[Maybe this explains Casey's bad Aramaic, too. Maybe
he did something similar to what you did (but people
sometimes cite him for Aramaic! O ANAGINWSKWN
NOEITW). ]]

Your Ezekiel text ובא u-va means 'and would come' and
refers to the antecedent 'a man, whoever . . .'
The other text 'ba' (Qre with alef) means
'while he comes/since he came'. Neither refers to a stone (feminine).
(I deleted it below because emails don't handle Qre/Ktiv very
well. And it's irrelevant to your issue.)

Hopefully, this much is now clear.
on your other Unsinn, it is really impossible to imagine a
first century person so out of touch that they were capable
of translating 'the son is coming' from Hebrew but not know
'the stone is coming'. After all, "even" is COGNATE to both
Aramaic and Hebrew, and they weren't dependent on
'bible software'. You're just going to have to take Josephus
at his word, they said "the son is coming" in the patriarchal
language. Crazy rebels.

Randall Buth

--
Randall Buth, PhD