[B-Greek] Introductory Grammar Suggestions

Barry H. nebarry at verizon.net
Wed Aug 18 01:21:42 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randall Buth" <randallbuth at gmail.com>
To: "B Greek" <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:51 PM
Subject: [B-Greek] Introductory Grammar Suggestions

> >My initial inclination was to start with a New Testament grammar.
> >However, the more research I did, the more inclined I became to starting
> >with Attic.  You mention that learning Attic first allowed you to more
> >easily
> transition to both Homer and to koine.  What are your thoughts on
> beginning with Homer?  It is certainly the long way to getting at koine.>
>
> Tony, you might want to study that essay on "SLA and Latin"
> and its implications on pedagogy and success,
> before making commitments. Like the idea that different methodologies
> are not options or personal taste but perform necessary roles at
> different stages of learning.

Very good observation, especially for classroom instruction.  Based on you
experience, however, how would you advise a self-learner to go about his
task?

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics & Bible Instructor @ The American Academy
2010 Salvatori Excellence in Education Winner
http://theamericanacademy.net
Mentor, The North American Reformed Seminary
http://www.tnars.net/