[B-Greek] Josephus, Antiquities 15,235

Emanuel Contac vaisamar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 19:07:54 EDT 2010

  Hello List,

   I have a syntax query which is not strictly biblical but with implications for a research paper on a biblical theme.

   Does anyone have access to the Loeb Translation of Jewish Antiquities, Book 15,235? The translation I use (in BibleWorks 8) does not seem to be very accurate in the second part (after the conjunction ALLA):

JOS  Antiquities of the Jews 15:235 [Mariamne] οὔτε γὰρ λόγον δοῦσα τὴν ἀρχὴν οὔτε ταραχθεῖσα πρὸς τὴν ἐκείνης [Alexandra, her mother] δυσχέρειαν ἐπέβλεπεν ἀλλ᾽ ὡς ὑπὸ φρονήματος τὴν ἁμαρτίαν καὶ μᾶλλον ἄχθεσθαι περιφανῶς ἀσχημονούσης ἐνέφηνεν

“for at the first she gave her not a word, nor was discomposed at her peevishness, and only looked at her; yet did she, out of a greatness of soul discover her concern for her mother's offence, and especially for her exposing herself in a manner so unbecoming her;”

 Is it possible to translate „hypo phronematos” with „out of a greatness of soul” and „achthestai” with „concern”?

 After ALLA there should be a verb describing what Mariamne did. Without it, the sentence does seem to make sense.

  Emanuel Contac