[B-Greek] Introductory Grammar Suggestions

N.E. Barry Hofstetter nebarry at verizon.net
Tue Aug 17 17:33:38 EDT 2010

Aug 17, 2010 08:54:06 PM, geekgreek at hotmail.com wrote:

>Barry,

>My initial inclination was to start with a New Testament grammar.  However, the more research I did, the more inclined I became to starting with Attic.  You mention that learning Attic first allowed you to more easily transition to both Homer and to koine.  What are your thoughts on beginning with Homer?  It is certainly the long way to getting at koine.<<

Well, the Romans would agree with you -- their standard practice to teach/learn Greek was to start with Homer, and work from there.  You can make it work, though I think it might take you a bit longer.  Starting with Attic, I think, is like driving in the middle of a three lane highway when you are not sure it's a left or right exit approaching -- you can more easily shift either way.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics & Bible @ The American Academy