[B-Greek] Where does the NU in ἡμῖν hHMIN come from?

Stephen Carlson stemmatic at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 14:52:16 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Carl Conrad <cwconrad2 at mac.com> wrote:
>What I always wondered about was the long iota in hUMIN and hHMIN, inasmuch
>as the iota of the dative plural is everywhere else short. Blame it on the
>KOSMOKRATORES TOU SKOTOUS TOUTOU.

Well, Sihler § 369A (p. 381) address this as well: "The -ῑ- [long -I-]
of the Att.-Ion. tonic forms is secondary, as revealed by the encl.
ἧμιν [hH=MIN], ὗμιν [hU=MIN].  The explanation for the long vowel is
unclear, but they were the only form of the pl. pron. in Att. with a
short vowel in the 'ending', and prosodic leveling is a fairly common
phenomenon."

Stephen
--
Stephen C. Carlson