[B-Greek] Spiritual psalms, hymns and songs?--Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16‏‏

Leonard Jayawardena leonardj at live.com
Sun Aug 15 23:39:15 EDT 2010

Further to my post on the above subject of a few weeks ago, here are two more examples supporting the translation of YALMOIS KAI hUMNOIS KAI WiDAIS PNEUMATIKAIS as "spiritual psalms, hymns and songs":

1. PASAN PALIN KAI TOPON (Luke 10:1)--"every city and place"

2. hOLOKLHRON hUMWN TO PNEUMA KAI hH YUCH KAI TO SWMA ... EN THi PAROUSIAi TOU KURIOU hHMWN HSOU CRISTOU THRHQEIH (1 Thessalonians 5:23)--May your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete ... at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

In both cases, as in Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16‏‏, the adjective follows the nearest substantive in gender. However, in Hebrews 3:6, EAN THN PARRHSIAN KAI TO KAUCHMA MECRI TELOUS BEBAIAN KATASCWMEN, the first noun is followed.

In my last post, I said that PNEUMATIKH in Ephes.5:19 and Col.3:16 had the same sense as in OIKOS PNEUMATIKOS (1 Peter 2:5), PNEUMATIKAS QUSIAS (1 Peter 2:5) and hHTIs KALEITAI PNEUMATIKWS SODOMA KAI AIGUPTOS (adverbially, Rev. 11:8). More accurately, PNEUMATIKH in these two passages means "spirit-inspired" and "spiritual psalms, hymns and songs" belongs to what Pauls calls TA PNEUMATIKA in 1 Corinthians 14:1---spiritual (gifts)--among which YALMOS (=HUMNOS=hWiDH) is included (1 Corinthians 14:26).

Leonard Jayawardena