[B-Greek] John 14:30b what sense?

Blue Meeksbay bluemeeksbay at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 15 17:44:23 EDT 2010

I really like Eric’s take on this verse. I have never thought of it in that
manner and I am going to reexamine this verse in that light. In the mean time, I
wonder if this might be an additional reason. As a sacrifice had to be without
blemish, perhaps,  Jesus is emphaszing this point since not even Satan could not
produce any reason or accusation to disqualify him from being a perfect
sacrifice for sin.

DEUTERONOMY 17:1 OU QUSEIS KURIWi TWi QEWi SOU MOSCON H PROBATON EN hWi ESTIN EN
AUTWi MWMOS PAN hRHMA PONHRON hOTI BDELUGMA KURIWi TWi QEWi SOU ESTIN

HEBREWS 9:14 POSWi MALLON TO hAIMA TOU CRISTOU, hOS DIA PNEUMATOS AIWNIOU
hEAUTON PROSHNEGKEN AMWMON TWi QEWi, KAQARIEI THN SUNEIDHSIN hHMWN APO NEKRWN
ERGWN EIS TO LATREUEIN QEWi ZWNTI.

Perhaps, John is emphasizing this aspect, especially since John creates a
framework in the beginning of his Gospel with Jesus being a Lamb of God that
takes away the sin of the world Jn. 1:29).  Jesus had to be sinless, without
blemish to be a sacrifice.

However, going back to Eric’s observation, I wonder if this verse becomes
significant in light of Eric's take.

JOHN 13:27 KAI META TO YWMION TOTE EISHLQEN EIS EKEINON hO SATANAS. LEGEI OUN
AUTWi hO IHSOUS• hO POIEIS POIHSON TACION.

Satan found something, some thought, or attitude in Judas to attach himself to,
or to associate himself with, but in Jesus he could find nothing.

Cordially,
Blue Harris