[B-Greek] John 2:15

jgibson000 at comcast.net jgibson000 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 13 09:37:43 EDT 2010

On 8/13/2010 7:35 AM, dlpost at comcast.net wrote:

> One thing is certain, Jesus exerted some physical violence using, not just a mere whip, but a "whip with cords", meaning the intention to inflict a little pain, whether on man or beast or both. After all, a "whip with cords" was not made just for show.
>
> Doug Post

I wonder if your "certain" conclusion about Jesus' intentions can be
sustained not by reference to what people who drive animals out of
stalls or pens actually intend to do when using "whips",  but when by
the text itself,  particularly when you take the following comment from
Newman's & Nida's : /A Handbook on the Gospel of John/ (New York :
United Bible Societies, 1993) 66 on the Greek text into account

> //There is a minor textual problem in this verse, which is reflected
> in the translation of //, “He made a (kind of) whip of cords.” The
> additional Greek word /hōs/ (kind of) has been attributed to a scribe
> who could not imagine a whip made out of cords. However, this reading
> has the support of two ancient papyri. The Greek word used to
> translate /whip/ in this passage comes from a Latin word, which
> sometimes describes a whip used for driving cattle, and that may be
> the meaning in this context. No weapons of any sort (not even sticks)
> were permitted within the Temple precincts, and this rule may account
> for the fact that Jesus had to make /a whip from cords/.

Moreover, you also assume that the whip itself was something that could
cause pain.  But as Raymond brown notes,  the whip may have been made
out of rushes used in bedding the animals, not, as you seem to assume,
something more substantial. (John, 1.115).

So it seems to me that your "certainty"  arises not from an honest or
studied reading of the text but from some unproven (and some
questionable) assumptions, and therefore is hardly as certain as you
state it to be.

Jeffrey

PS.  Is it really necessary for you to include the whole of an exchange
in your post when you are attempting to make a point that is aimed at
only a bit of it?

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
1500 W. Pratt Blvd.