[B-Greek] John 2:15

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Fri Aug 13 08:05:13 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Conrad" <cwconrad2 at mac.com>
To: <dlpost at comcast.net>
Cc: "Leonard Jayawardena" <leonardj at live.com>; <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 7:54 AM
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] John 2:15

> On Aug 13, 2010, at 7:32 AM, dlpost at comcast.net wrote:
>
>> And, after all of that "making sense", there is still nothing to hang
>> one's hat upon.
>
> In a way, I hesitate to add yet one more note to this thread without
> really saying
> something new -- but I don't think there's anything new to say about it.
> It seems
> to me that we recognize that the Greek text doesn't give us enough to
> resolve
> the question here to everyone's satisfaction. We are beating a dead horse
> (there's
> an original thought, no?): some of us read the context as intelligible
> only if we
> understand πάντας ἐξέβαλεν [PANTAS EXEBALEN] to mean that Jesus used
> the whip to drive out man and beast while others are just as convinced
> that it
> must mean that he drove out all the beasts. Seems to me that an immense
> effort is being expended to tip the balance of an imponderable that won't
> budge.

And this suggests to me, at the risk of gonig beyiond the Greek (so to
speak), that for John, communicating the precise, video-tape picture of the
event was not nearly so important as the fact of cleansing the temple, and
its import...

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Savatori Excellence in Education Winner)
Mentor, TNARS
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry