[B-Greek] Grammatical Commentary to Mark?

Louis Sorenson llsorenson at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 12 22:47:20 EDT 2010

Morton,

The book is called Translator's Reference Translation of the Gospel of Mark by Matthew E. Carlton, 2001, SIL (Summer Institute of Linguistics) and is part of the series titled The Translator's Reference Translation.  It can be found at the SIL website at http://www.ethnologue.com/show_product.asp?isbn=9781556711190  This is different from the book "A Translators Handbook on the Gospel of Mark" by Robert G. Bratcher and Eugene A. Nida, Leiden, Brill, 1961.  There is review of the latter on JSTOR: http://www.jstor.org/pss/3264835

My favorite commentary is C.E.B. Cranfield's The Gospel according to St Mark: An Introduction and Commentary (Cambridge Greek Testament Commentaries) http://www.amazon.com/Gospel-according-Mark-Introduction-Commentaries/dp/0521092043

Our long-time chair, Carl Conrad has written his own commentary on Mark http://artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/Mark/ .  It was partly the result of learning Biblical Greek first by some Mark-based beginning grammar (methinks).

There is also the New International Greek Testament Commentary. I believe the NIGTC series has mixed reviews, but at least the Greek NT student knows that they will directly address their needs:
The Gospel of Mark. R. T. France, 2002. 756 pages. ISBN 978-0-8028-2446-2
The Baylor series is a very thorough series; I've used the I II III John one and some of the students said this was their "go-to book."  I love the Gospel of Mark - it is so vivid. The Luke volume is coming out November 2010 (But at $50!)

Anyways, there is my two cents.
Louis Sorenson

On Aug 12, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Morten H?rning Jensen wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Does anyone know of a grammatical commentary to Mark? I am thinking of
> something like Larkin?s ?A Handbook on the Greek Text, Ephesians.?
>
> Or, in which regular commentary can I find the most detailed discussions of
> the Greek?

What else may be available I don't know, but I do know that Rod Decker is
at work on such a commentary for the Baylor series of handbooks on the
Greek text.