[B-Greek] John 2:15

Blue Meeksbay bluemeeksbay at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 14:11:15 EDT 2010

[One more beat ... but first let me also add to the SUGCARTIKA  for  Louis
Sorenson. Even though I am somewhat new to the list and do not know you that
well, I can speak for myself and say, I have enjoyed your posts and look forward
to future posts, and the insight you can lend to my attempt to understand more
fully the Greek language.   I use UPS all the time!  (not that the *other*
company is not good : ).  Now to the post at hand and my two cents.]

Hi Leonard –

I agree with you that the actions, more than likely, occurred at the same time.
However, Carl Conrad's take that PANTAS refers back to verse 14 seems to make
more sense, not because the language would not allow it to refer only to the
sheep and oxen, (as Yancy showed in his excellent post), but simply because the
context seems to demand it.  If  EXEBALEN referred only to the sheep and oxen,
it would take some time to drive them out from the court of the Gentiles through
the sheep gate and EK TOU hIEROU.   From extra-biblical sources we have
indications that there were not just a few animals there, but there may have
been hundreds of sheep and oxen. Indeed, there could have easily been over a
thousand animals.  Who knows how long that would take?  (Alfred Edersheim
mentions that at a previous time 3000 sheep had been introduced into the temple
precincts.)

If John was saying Jesus drove out just the sheep and oxen out of the temple,
then, more than likely, it seems John would have included another word, say,
like hUPOSTREFW (I hope this would be the proper word) and said something like
this –

KAI POIHSAS FRAGELLION EK SCOINIWN PANTAS EXEBALEN EK TOU hIEROU TA TE PROBATA
KAI TOUS BOAS, KAI [hUPOSTREFW ]  TWN KOLLUBISTWN EXECEEN TO KERMA KAI TAS
TRAPEZAS ANETREYEN,

And making a whip out of rope He drove all of them out of the temple, both the
sheep and oxen, and [returning], he dumped out the coins of the moneychangers
and turned over their tables

But, of course, that is not what it said. Also, I am not even sure one man could
drive out so many animals by himself, especially with so many other people
milling around. And I do not think Jesus would simply break open the pens and
scatter the animals, for that would seem to further desecrate the sacredness of
the temple by having hundreds of animals running through the sacred precincts,
perhaps, into places they should not.

Therefore, more than likely, Jesus was going from stall to stall driving out the
*sellers* with those particular animals in their pen. The sellers, of course,
would be careful to keep their own animals together since they had invested
their own money in procuring those animals that were already *pronounced* ready
for sacrifice. That is the whole basis of the business. They were providing a
service to the thousands of pilgrims that would come to the feast to
sacrifice, not having sacrifice ready animals.

As this market place was all contained,  more than likely, in one area of the
court of the Gentiles, it seems Jesus would be doing all three actions at the
same time. He would approach the first pen of sheep and oxen and drive out the
seller with his animals, while at the same time shouting to the sellers of doves
to take away their birds, while overturning a moneychanger’s table that was set
up next to the stall in order to provide proper coinage to any foreign Jew who
wished to purchase an animal. He, more than likely, repeated this action going
from one stall to the other, and I am sure the ones at the end of the line
seeing the others at the other end of the line being driven out by Jesus would
not wait for the inevitable, but would quickly gather their investment together
and take their animals out through the sheep gate andout of the temple before
Jesus could reach them.

Carl Conrad also said –

<Among those B-Greekers who have responded in this thread there seems to be a
preponderance of those preferring not to think that Jesus used the whip on human
beings.>

Cordially,
Blue Harris

I can understand this, but I do not think Carl Conrad is saying because PANTAS
refers back to verse 14 that that means Jesus necessarily used the whip on human
beings. (He can correct me if I am wrong).  It is possible Jesus did, at least,
initially, but the text just doesn’t say for sure, so it is probably best to
leave it at that – nebulous. However, I know if I saw Jesus coming at me with a
whip raised in his hand, I wouldn’t wait around to see if he was going to use it
on me or not! I would skedaddle out of there.