[B-Greek] New Co-Chair: Louis Sorenson

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Wed Aug 11 12:50:10 EDT 2010

On Aug 11, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Jonathan wrote:

> I would like to announce that we have made Louis Sorenson a
> co-chair of B-Greek. The co-chairs are responsible for overseeing
> the content of B-Greek, and for helping set direction. They
> moderate messages, keep discussion going, and redirect disputes.
>
> Picking a co-chair is not easy. We need a co-chair to be
> competent in Biblical Greek, committed to respect for all faith
> persuasions, without showing partiality to any, and good at
> dealing with people. Carl and Carlton have been wonderful at
> this, we feel we need one more co-chair to help share the load.
>
> Louis teaches Biblical Greek and is now using Koine Greek as a
> vehicle of classroom instruction. For several years he has
> maintained a public website for the reading of Epictetus,
> Menander, Aesop, Psalms: http://www.letsreadgreek.com/. He has
> also worked to bring Greek references like the Robertson grammar
> into digital form. Carl, Carlton, and I all agree that Louis will
> make an excellent co-chair.
>
> Thanks to Louis for agreeing to this!
>
> Jonathan, Carl, and Carlton

I would like to add some remarks to Jonathan's announcement. I
do think that B-Greekers who have followed pedagogical matters
are well aware of what Louis has done and continues to do to enable
those who want not only to read Koine Greek but to gain a deeper
proficiency in it by using it as real vehicle of communication --
listening to it read aloud (in Erasmian, reconstructed Attic, or
Buthian -- as well as some curious "mix-dialects"), messaging
each other in Koine, singing it, dialoging in it. Jonathan has already
mentioned the http://www.letsreadgreek.com/ site. More recently
there's the thriving site ΣΧΟΛΗ - Σχολὴ εἰς τὸ τὴν ἀρχαίαν
Ἐλληνικὴν γράφειν, ἀναγινώσκειν, λέγειν καὶ ἀκούειν
[SCOLH EIS TO THN ARCAIAN ELLHNIKHN GRAFEIN,
ANAGINWSKEIN, LEGEIN KAI AKOUEIN]. If you haven't yet
looked at this, you should at: http://schole.ning.com/

You might not guess that Louis supports his family -- and his
profound commitment to ancient Greek -- by driving a delivery
truck for UPS (he gives a new meaning to, "What can brown
do for you?"!). He is blessed with a loving wife who allows him
to expend many hours in his labor of love for ancient Greek. He
has done graduate work in Greek years after his undergraduate
work.

What else? Would you believe: he and I both live in Burnsville --
Louis in Burnsville, Minnesota, I in Burnsville, North Carolina.
To my knowledge there are only two Burnsvilles in the USA.
Here's an idea that I'll propose to Carlton Winbury: don't you
think it's about time to incorporate a new Burnsville in Louisiana
right where you now live? We could perhaps put signs at the
city limits displaying the motto, "Home of the Burnsville Greeks."
Whaddaya say?

Carl W. Conrad, Co-Chair, B-Greek
Burnsville, NC