[B-Greek] John 2:15

Leonard Jayawardena leonardj at live.com
Wed Aug 11 07:53:26 EDT 2010

________________________________
> Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 14:12:50 +0000
> From: dlpost at comcast.net
> To: leonardj at live.com
> CC: b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Re: [B-Greek] John 2:15

Doug Post

LJ: On second thoughts, I think the series of actions of Jesus relating to the cleansing of the temple should not be taken chronologically and I hereby withdraw my argument no. 2. On both interpretations, adherence to a chronological sequence leads to improbable or even absurd results, as evidenced by your interpretation above. No, I think the events described happened more or less simultaneously and the arrangement of the material by the writer is topical. The actions and the command of Jesus to the sellers of doves in vv. 15-16 correspond to the various items introduced in v. 14 (KAI hEUREN EN TWi hIERWi TOUS PWLOUNTAS BOAS KAI PROBATA KAI PERISTERAS KAI TOUS KERMATISTAS KAQHMENOUS). Observe the pattern below:

1. Jesus drives out the sheep and the oxen.
2. He pours out the coins and overturns the tables of moneychangers.
3. He orders the sellers of doves to take them away.

Evidently, Jesus' actions were directed towards clearing the temple of the merchandise that desecrated it (and, of course, the sellers would have followed their merchandise out). If he drove the sellers and the moneychangers out of the temple, wouldn't (1) above be the odd man out?

Leonard Jayawardena