[B-Greek] Robinson/Pierpont 2005 Readers-Edition

Peter Streitenberger ps2866 at bingo-ev.de
Wed Aug 11 04:39:03 EDT 2010

Dear Mr. Conrad,

As for the critical text (NA27/UBS4) of Mark 2:22:

This passage represents a clearly complex variant situation *not* exactly
typical of the general contrast between N27/UBS and Byz; but that by the
way.

n27 KAI OUDEIS BALLEI OINON NEON EIS ASKOUS PALAIOUS EI DE MH,
byz KAI OUDEIS BALLEI OINON NEON EIS ASKOUS PALAIOUS EI DE MH

No problem in that line, so no discussion.

n27 hRHXEI  hO OINOS         TOUS ASKOUS
byz hRHSSEI hO OINOS hO NEOS TOUS ASKOUS

N27 has FAI where Byz has PAI. I see the PAI as more dramatic and the FAI as
a deliberate smoothing to show clearly an expected sequence of occurrence
(one first must BALLEI and then as a future result expect RHSSEI).

The absence of hO NEOS in N27 could easily be the result of homoioteleuton
(-OS^-OS) in the Alexandrian archetype or something occurring independently
in a smaller number of non-Alexandrian MSS.

n27 KAI hO OINOS APOLLUTAI KAI hOI ASKOI
byz KAI hO OINOS EKCEITAI  KAI hOI ASKOI APOLOUNTAI

Here there is clear stylistic revision evidenced in the N27 text, intended
to shorten and eliminate what seemed to be overly redundant.

n27 ALLA OINON NEON EIS ASKOUS KAINOUS.
byz ALLA OINON NEON EIS ASKOUS KAINOUS BLHTEON.]

The removal of the verbal adjective BLHTEON (from BALLW) may involve scribal
difficulty in Mark with a "dead" verbal adjective form (cf. Bl-D 65.3), even
though the same scribes retain the term in Lk 5:38, for whatever reason.

One of course could suggest Byzantine "harmonization" to a parallel passage,
but if so, then why were *none* of the following harmonized in that *same*
context: MH/MHGE, RHXEI/RHSSEI (where in fact N27 is truly harmonized with
RHSSEI appearing in *both* parallels, while Byz differs!), O OINOS O NEOS/O
NEOS OINOS, O OINOS/AUTOS, EKCEITAI/ECKUQHSETAI or (in Mark) the final Lukan
phrase added (KAI AMFOTEROI SUNTHROUNTAI)?

In reality, there is far less of an issue than certain eclectics might make
out of the internal evidence. If other places can be found -- and they
can! -- where it is the NA/UBS text that is less difficult (and therefore in
such places "leaves less to the imagination of the reader"), what then? The
principle cuts both ways, even if not followed by the N27/UBS editors.

But the Byzantine-priority position does not depend on internal evidence
justification, any more than did the externally based W-H text. The internal
criteria remain secondary at best; the overriding principle for me is the
matter of transmissional theory and external data.

BTW: For more information on the Byzantine priority thesis, please note:
http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/vol06/Robinson2001.html

Yours
Peter
www.streitenberger.com