[B-Greek] Philipians 2:19-21 - no one like minded.

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Wed Aug 11 04:22:06 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin Chamberlain" <justin4jesus at verizon.net>
To: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: 11. august 2010 19:03
Subject: [B-Greek] Philipians 2:19-21 - no one like minded.
> Hi,
>
> Confessedly I am a lurker – mainly because I do not consider myself
> technically proficient enough
> to participate. I hope that will not prevent an answer.
>
> My question is regarding Philippians 2:19-21
> Php 2:19  ᾿Ελπίζω δὲ ἐν Κυρίῳ ᾿Ιησοῦ Τιμόθεον ταχέως πέμψαι ὑμῖν,
> ἵνα κἀγὼ εὐψυχῶ γνοὺς τὰ περὶ ὑμῶν·
> Php 2:20  οὐδένα γὰρ ἔχω ἰσόψυχον, ὅστις γνησίως τὰ περὶ ὑμῶν
> μεριμνήσει·
> Php 2:21  οἱ πάντες γὰρ τὰ ἑαυτῶν ζητοῦσιν, οὐ τὰ Χριστοῦ ᾿Ιησοῦ·
>
> Paul States in 2:20 that he has no one like minded. Can we determine from the
> Greek here if this statement includesTimothy? MERIMNAO being in the future
> tense seems to indicate that Timothy is like minded but OUDEIS would seem to
> exclude him from being like minded as well.
>
> Is he sending Timothy because he has no one like minded OR is he sending
> Timothy because he is the only
one like minded?
> Thank you,
> Justin R. Chamberlain
-----------------------------
It may be helpful to think of the hyperbolic usage of OUDEIS and PAS. Usually,
these words do not mean absolutely no one or absolutely all, but they commonly
refer to very few or to very many. Because of the ISO- and the context, it seems
clear that Paul is saying that he hopes to send Timothy to them, since he has no
one else among his coworkers at the time who is as genuinely concerned for their
well-being. After all (GAR), most people (PANTES) seek their own things rather
than the things of Jesus Christ (Paul, Timothy and a few others excluded from
the PANTES).

Some translations clarify this. Whether that is necessary, I don't know, but it
can be helpful.

NLT: 19 If the Lord Jesus is willing, I hope to send Timothy to you soon for a
visit... 20 I have no one else like Timothy, who genuinely cares about your
welfare. 21 All the others care only for themselves and not for what matters to
Jesus Christ.

Don't you use the same king of hyperbole in English? If you have read a very
special book, you might say: "It was fascinating. I have never read a book like
this." But didn't you just read it?

Iver Larsen