[B-Greek] Listening for reading

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Tue Aug 10 20:14:22 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Lightman" <lightmanmark at yahoo.com>
To: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu>; "B-Greek"
<b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] Listening for reading

> Randall has said elsewhere that you cannot really claim to know Ancient
> Greek
> well unless you can understand an unfamiliar passage read aloud at a
> normal
> speed.
> Motivating challenges like this are the most helpful of all teaching
> tools.
>
> If you want to test your ability to understand spoken Greek you can watch
> this
> video
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPwmg61f7Oo
>
> and see if you can understand it and identify it.  It is a fairly famous
> Koine
> passage but
> it is not from the Greek NT.
>
> I posted this on several other forums and no one has gotten it yet.

I got it!  Epictetus...  I'm so proud of myself...  :)

Nice to hear good, correct Erasmean pronounciation (ducking, running for
cover).

I also liked the way he explained the vocabulary using entirely Greek --
I've started doing that occasionally in both my beginning Latin and
beginning Greek classes.  Not bad, though when he was explaining SWMA I
started humming "Head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes..."

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Savatori Excellence in Education Winner)
Mentor, TNARS
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry