[B-Greek] Robinson/Pierpont 2005 Readers-Edition

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Tue Aug 10 15:35:45 EDT 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 3:00 PM, Oun Kwon wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Mark Lightman <lightmanmark at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Sure, I understand that argument.  Textual criticism per se is an off-list
>> topic, but without getting in to that, all I am saying is the fact that
>> Robinson's text is easier to read than NA27/UBS 4 may be a good
>> reason why those learning Greek should read it.
>>
>> If I was starting all over again, I would use his text to learn the Greek NT.
>> It's a better piece of literature, if nothing else.
>>
>>  Mark L
>>

> Hi Mark,
>
> I would appreciate if you would give a few examples of the text which
> got 'smoothing out'.

Here's one instance of what I think people mean by "smoothing out."

First let's look at the critical text (NA27/UBS4) of Mark 2:22:
22 καὶ οὐδεὶς βάλλει οἶνον νέον εἰς ἀσκοὺς παλαιούς· εἰ δὲ μή, ῥήξει ὁ οἶνος τοὺς ἀσκοὺς καὶ ὁ οἶνος ἀπόλλυται καὶ οἱ ἀσκοί· ἀλλὰ οἶνον νέον εἰς ἀσκοὺς καινούς. [22 KAI OUDEIS BALLEI OINON NEON EIS ASKOUS PALAIOUS· EI DE MH, hRHXEI hO OINOS TOUS ASKOUS KAI hO OINOS APOLLUTAI KAI hOI ASKOI· ALLA OINON NEON EIS ASKOUS KAINOUS.]

Then look at the Majority Text:
22 και ουδεις βαλλει οινον νεον εις ασκους παλαιους ει δε μη ρησσει ο οινος ο νεος τους ασκους και ο οινος εκχειται και οι ασκοι απολουνται αλλα οινον νεον εις ασκους καινους βλητεον. [22 KAI OUDEIS BALLEI OINON NEON EIS ASKOUS PALAIOUS EI DE MH hRHSSEI hO OINOS hO NEOS TOUS ASKOUS KAI hO OINOS EKCEITAI KAI hOI ASKOI APOLOUNTAI ALLA OINON NEON EIS ASKOUS KAINOUS BLHTEON.]

Where NA27 has ῥήξει ὁ οἶνος τοὺς ἀσκοὺς καὶ ὁ οἶνος ἀπόλλυται καὶ οἱ ἀσκοί [hRHXEI hO OINOS TOUS ASKOUS], MT has ρησσει ο οινος ο νεος τους ασκους [hRHSSEI O OINOS O NEOS TOUS ASKOUS]. The future-tense verb of the critical text has been changed to present-tense in the MT so that the tense of the verbs BALLEI and hRHSSEI are coordinated in the MT; also hO OINOS of the critical text becomes hO OINOS hO NEOS in NT, making clear that it's the NEW wine that bursts the wineskins.

Where NA27 has ὁ οἶνος ἀπόλλυται καὶ οἱ ἀσκοί [hO OINOS APOLLUTAI KAI hOI ASKOI] "the wine is wasted and (so are) the wineskins", MT has the clearer formulation ο οινος εκχειται και οι ασκοι απολουντα [ hO OINOS EKCEITAI KAI hOI ASKOI APOLOUNTAI] "the wine spills out and the wineskins will be ruined."

Finally, NA27 in the final clause of verse 22 requires the reader to supply a verb: ἀλλὰ οἶνον νέον εἰς ἀσκοὺς καινούς [ALLA OINON NEON EIS ASKOUS KAINOUS] "(people/one/they should put) new wine into new wineskins." The MT, however, supplies that verb with βλητέον [BLHTEON] "one must/should put."

It's not that NA27/UBS4 is really hard to read, and it could hardly be said that the real sense of Mark 2:22 is at all different in the two text-forms -- but it's hard to deny that the text of MT leaves less to the imagination of the reader.