[B-Greek] Robinson/Pierpont 2005 Readers-Edition

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 10:41:53 EDT 2010

Thanks for this announcement, Peter.

I checked out the sample pages and I am very impressed.  My high
regard for Reader's Editions as tools that will actually lead to Greek fluency
is,
I believe, one of my Ultra-Nauseams.   There are a number of features
of this edition that I find particularly commendable.

1.  I like the fact that numbers to show how often a word is used in the
Greek NT are included.  These not only help you decide which words you
might want to make flashcards for or include in home-made audio recordings,
but they help give you a sense of where you are at in vocab acquisition.
It is particularly helpful to know which words occur only once.

2.  I like the fact that the parsing info is separated from the glosses.  Many
intermediate learners, I think, need help with the latter but not so much with
the former.  Including an appendix with all the verbs parsed is a good idea
because there are really only a few GNT forms that are hard to identify.

3.  I like what I see as far as the glosses, as they seem to give you the info
you need to know but they are mercifully brief, so you can get back to reading
Greek as quickly as possible.  I understand, I guess, why people like BDAG to
study a word in depth (although even this concept eludes me as most of us
never study English words in depth but we learn English just fine) or, what BDAG
is really used for, to back up arguments, but as a tool for ACTUALLY
LEARNING WHAT A GREEK WORD MEANS, I have never understood why a resource
like this Reader's edition, which basically gives you the same info as BDAG, in
less time, is not universally preferred.  This Reader's Edition, like Zondervan
and
unlike UBS, does not give verse specific glosses, but gives the fully range of
meanings each time, forcing the reader to decide what the word means.

4.  I have no idea whether the Byzantine text is closer to the original
autographs than the Alexandrian text, and neither do you, but Robinson's
text is a little easier to read, with some of the grammatical awkwardness
smoothed out.  They say the two textforms agree 94%.  It seems even
higher than that to me, as I go back and forth between the two and almost
never notice the differences.

5.  The font on this text is better than either Zondervan or UBS.  My only
question is whether the font is just as large in the Reader's Edition as it
is the the standard edition.  If so, this book may be the best of the three.

 Mark L
Φωσφορος

FWSFOROS MARKOS