[B-Greek] John 2:15

dlpost at comcast.net dlpost at comcast.net
Tue Aug 10 10:12:50 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leonard Jayawardena" <leonardj at live.com>
To: b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:54:49 AM
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] John 2:15

I think PANTAS refers only to the sheep and the oxen in John 2:15 and these are my reasons.

1. To begin with, a whip would normally be used to drive out animals, not humans (or doves for that matter). Jesus finds in the temple sellers of sheep and oxen and doves, and moneychangers seated. He makes a whip and drives out the sheep and the oxen. I think TA TE PROBATA KAI TOUS BOAS is added as an afterthought to make sure that the reader does not misunderstand that only the oxen are meant because of the possibility that PANTAS, being masculine, could be taken as referring back only to BOAS. The writer does not think that his readers will understand the antecedent of PANTAS to be anything other than animals but he is concerned that the pronoun might be mistaken by some to refer only to the oxen.

Doug here: Of course, that is all speculation and very much eisegetical.

2. After Jesus drives out "all," the sellers of doves, with their birds, are still sitting or standing around for him to tell them, "Take these things [TAUTA] away," which clearly shows that that the antecedent of PANTAS is NOT all the parties mentioned in v. 14. The whip was not used on the doves, which would have been kept in cages. PERISTERA is feminine but Jesus said TAUTA, not TAUTAS. Perhaps the reference is to the cages in which the birds were kept?

Doug here: If Jesus is driving them out, ALL of them (animals and men), then it stands to reason that the One "driving out" is also going "out" with ALL of them. He doesn't make a whip with cords only to be standing in the temple saying "shoo away." No, He is forcing them all out of the temple and he is running behind them outside the temple Himself. Of course, the point is that when Jesus said "take these things" it doesn't necessarily mean they were inside the temple, and it doesn't necessarily mean that He was inside the temple when He said it.

Doug Post