[B-Greek] John 2:15

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Mon Aug 9 14:08:08 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: <jgibson000 at comcast.net>
To: "Biblical Greek" <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Cc: "Barry" <nebarry at verizon.net>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] John 2:15

> Not according to Jean Lasserre “Un contresens tenace,” Cahiers de la
> Réconciliation (October 1967): 3–21  (Englished by John Howard Yoder as
> "The Whip in the Temple. A Tenacious Misinterpretation",. in Occasional
> Papers of the Council of Mennonite Seminaries and Institute of Mennonite
> Studies No. 1, ed.  W. M. Swartley, Elkhart 1981, 35-49), who has examined
> all of the NT uses of TE KAI and who notes that in 86 of these cases a
> rendering comparable to "as well as the sheep and the oxen" would be
> impossible,  in five it would be possible but is not so rendered by
> translators, and that it is only in John 2:15 that translators so render
> it.
>
> To my knowledge, both Bultmann and Schnakenburg reject your view, as does
> G.H.C. MacGreggor (The New Testament Basis of Pacifism),  who each note
> that the normal sense of TE KAI is to indicate a list, not to continue a
> series beginning with "them all".
>
> If memory serves,  a full discussion of the grammatical issues involved
> appears in N. Clayton Croy's  "The Messianic Whippersnapper: Did Jesus Use
> a Whip on People in the Temple (John 2:15)?",  Journal of Biblical
> Literature128 (2009)  555-568.

Thanks, always good to get a bibliography out of this.  Smart people who
agree with me on this include Beasley-Murray and Godet.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Savatori Excellence in Education Winner)
Mentor, TNARS
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry